Friday, May 7, 2010

10/11/06 Creatures & Kids Galore

The last 2 days I have been inundated with creatures & kids. Are they one and the same, maybe? We didn't do any formal schooling since my dh was home a lot and the weather was just too nice.

Monday we started bringing wood into the basement around 8:30. After a bit I went to work in the garden. Susanna came with me and after she helped me pull up all the carrots, she got stung by a bee.
She cried for a bit and didn't like the ice pack.
She and I went to collect eggs and she saw a baby mouse in the hen house-it was injured. Hannah heard about it and she tried to nurse it back to health. But, soon after, a friend called and asked if she wanted to go on a trail ride so, it got left in a bucket on my kitchen counter for me to mouse-sit.
Then the chickens got a hold of a snake. Jonah saw it and rescued it. He was very upset about the snake, but I didn't allow it in the house.
Neither the mouse nor the snake survived.
I was concerned about one of our hens-she had been sitting in a nest box for the second day in a row. Every time I went near her she would puff up and growl-I've never heard a chicken growl before, but she did and it was scary. I was afraid she might be egg-bound, but wasn't prepared to do the one necessary thing-help get it out. So, I left her alone and prayed that she was ok-maybe she was broody?
My dh complained that we had pumpkin pie and no whipped cream. So, I made some with cream off the milk he got from the farm.
Well, he finished the pie and there was still whipped cream left and I was going to combine it with the other cream to make butter. He said, "It's a good thing I happen to be standing here-you do remember there's sugar in the whipped cream?" Well, I had forgotten, but then said, well, there is sweat cream butter-maybe they put sugar in it.
He laughed and asked me if I knew the history behind sweet cream butter and I said no.
He said, "Well, a long time ago a man ate the last of the pie and the bobble-headed mommy said, Oh-there's no more pie and there's still whipped cream. I'll just add it to the regular cream to make butter. And that is where sweet cream butter came from."
Just so you know my dh isn't a jerk. He is just a big smart aleck that loves to tease me. LOL
Later Hannah & Jonah found a huge salamander:
Tuesday Hannah had a friend over and Jonah had 2 friends over(brothers). They came around 10:00 and stayed until 6pm. They all had so much fun and it was so good to see Jonah playing with boys-he doesn't get that often enough.
They played outside mostly. The girls spent the day horse-back riding & playing with the horses and went salamander hunting in the woods. They caught 13 of the small ones. Hannah put 2 of them on my counter and one of them prompty threw up on my counter-a worm or something. That was something new I'd never experienced before. I ushered them out with their creatures and had Hannah clean the counter-yuck!! Here they are looking in the bucket at them (the same bucket that had the mouse the day before) Susanna was thrilled with those salamanders and held them.
The boys-wow-what energy and excitement! They climbed trees, ran thru the woods looking for snakes and "dinosaur" bones, played army(with Pat's short tie-down straps looped to their belts), wrestled on the trampoline, waded thru streams with the dogs.
At one point, they burst into the house with a snake-yes they brought it in the house to show us. Jonah said he caught it like Crocodile Hunter did. Here it is:
Later, Jonah came into the house with the "growling" chicken, and brought it in the bathroom where I happened to be. I never thought I'd be sitting in the bathroom looking a growling chicken in the face. I guess she's ok-he took her out of the nest and she ran around with the others.
Feeding 6 kids lunch and dinner was different than I'm used to. Those boys ate like locusts! They'd burst thru the door, Jonah would holler, "WE'RE HUNGRY", they'd eat everything in site, then run out to play more boy games. Here's what my kitchen looked like after one of their feeding frenzies (that is a pile of apple peelings next to the teapot) I fed them beef stew, apples, pumpkin bread.
After everyone had left, the kids were showered and watching a show on TV. Jonah came and told me that the TV said we can't get anymore Sacagawea coins( we have one of them) because they're only available to the General Republic now. LOL!!
Well, I think that's all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment