Monday, May 10, 2010

10/21/06 Oh, my-it's been a whole week....

...since I have blogged. I can't believe I went so long. There wasn't really much to say. The only highlights I can think of are:

a friend of ours got a deer on the first day of bow season, so he and his family came over Sunday afternoon and we had a butchering party. It really is more fun than it sounds. The men take care of the skinning and quartering outside. I can't watch that part.

The kids all played and us women got to visit. They brought it in to the basement after it was quartered to butcher it and us women packaged it. It's fun because we all visit while doing it. Jonah helped to butcher, too. He started last year and he's beginning to get the hang of it.

The rest of the week was kind of a blur. I really really struggled with the decision of wether I should do that talk for MOPS or not. I argued with myself for 4 days. I had to let my MIL know by Tuesday. On the one hand, I didn't want to do it and on the other hand, all sorts of ideas came to my mind that I wrote down that I would say. And it seemed that I accidentally came across a couple articles about contentment without even looking.

Tuesday I didn't call my MIL because I still was so torn about it. I had been praying constantly about it, but I never got a definite answer one way or the other. I wish I could write what it is I'd say and then have someone else read it out loud. I also got sick on Tuesday. So, Wednesday she called me and I said yes reluctantly.

I stayed sick until Thursday and the kids ran the house-sort of. They did get their sit down stuff down and they helped keep track of Susanna. Hannah did a little keeping up on the house.

I'd have times when I felt better than others, so would get something small done or just sit with the kids(or lay on the couch) while they did things.

I realized that maybe I should do that more often-just sit in their presence. They seemed to like that. I wish I could balance myself. I have a hard time sitting still if something needs to be picked up or done. But, there is ALWAYS something that needs doing.

Last year when I got a head cold it lasted 6 weeks-it turned into a sinus infection and who knows if anything else. I never did go to the doctor. I called up a Christian herbalist and he told me that garlic is God's antibiotic. I knew it was good for you, but I guess I never took enough of it for it to work properly. So, I ate 3 cloves of garlic a day at first, then worked up to 4 cloves. I had the kids eating 2 cloves of garlic a day just to hopefully prevent them from getting it. I minced it up and put small amounts of it on a spoon with applesauce. Even Susanna ate it. Thursday I started feeling better.

The kids were so understanding about me being sick. Because of it, we had to cancel a day with friends and we didn't go to gym class.

Friday I was feeling much better and didn't have to cancel our very first Girls Group Meeting. I'm the host of it and it's held here and it took quite a lot of effort to find a day that everyone could come. I was nervous all day as I've never done something like this before. The house was a wreck since I had been sick most of the week and I didn't have all the ingredients I needed for what we were making. So, had to make a trip to the store as well as a flurry of cleaning. The kids helped with that.

But, everything came together and the girls had a great time. One of the moms stayed here and she was a big help. (Susanna was sleeping & Pat came home early and played monopoly with Jonah since they couldn't do firewood in the pouring rain) We made Apple Dumplings with Apple Syrup. There was flour and rollings pins all over and the floor & counters were pretty sticky! LOL Hannah only knew one of the girls that came, but they all hit it off very quickly. Last week Hannah & I had done some reading up on hospitality, read verses and we talked about how she'd act in different scenarios. We talked about how important it is for the hostess to make all feel welcome and to make sure that ALL is having a good time even if that means more work for the hostess(which she doesn't let on) or that she doesn't get to do exactly what she wants.

They were all really sweet girls and I'm so thrilled at how it went. I think next time we're going to make no-sew fleece lap blankets. I talked to the girls about it and asked them what they thought about making them to donate to the nursing home-they'd make great Christmas presents to the residents. I'm leaving the decision up to them & their moms. Maybe they'll want to make more than one, too, to keep one and give one. I sent a recipe home for the dumplings with each girl, too. One of the girls came up with a neat idea for planning a harvest party that all their siblings could come to. I like the idea, but don't know how many people that would be and if we'd have good weather. I do want to have a sledding party in the winter that all the siblings could come to. Plus, right now hunting season is upon us, then Thanksgiving & Christmas. So, we'll see-I'm not sure if I can swing something that big next month. Hunting season is a huge deal here with people that come in from out of town and stay here for a week. It takes me a whole week just to get ready for it and then a week to recuperate.

Well, it's Saturday now. My nose is a little stuffy this morning when it wasn't yesterday. (I'm still eating garlic and my dh must be a vampire because it is keeping him away-LOL) My dh is hunting. The kids are sleeping, the dishwasher is running and I am looking forward to a quiet, peaceful day.

http://countryheartdesigns.com/graphics.html

No comments:

Post a Comment