Friday, May 7, 2010

8/15/06 Are You Busy?

So am I. It is the rare person I meet that isn't. So, why is it that there seem to be so many people that think they've cornered the market on being so very busy?

This has been bothering me for a long time.

When I was single (working & going to college), others were busier because they were married. Before we had kids, people with kids made me feel they were much busier than me since they had kids. After we had kids, they were still busier because they had more kids than I. Moms that work and have kids that are in after school sports, etc are busier than me, too.

So, when do I get to be busier than someone else?

And, do I need to be?

I decided to evaluate how this attitude has made me feel all these years. Not only did it make me feel like a slacker, but it made me feel that their time was more valuable than mine and their life more important than mine.

This is how I percieve it-it may not be intentional. But, I can't help feeling this way.

Is that a pride issue? I'm not sure-- on my part or theirs. Now, I only need to care about my part, so I have done some serious soul-searching on it.

What I have learned is that I don't want to make others feel this way. When Jesus was in human form, he was never too busy to stop what he was doing. And he honestly WAS busy. I LOVE that about Him. And He is still that way. How many people are praying all at once at any given time? And He hears every single one of us-that is so awesomely amazing to me. It just gives me chills and make me teary-eyed. I am right now just thinking about it.

I've decided that when I don't do something I said I would or haven't visited with or called someone like I should, I'll try to say "I'm sorry I haven't made the time to do that...." or "I'm sorry the timing hasn't worked out for this...."

It is a little harder to say that than it is to excuse things away with the easy "I've been so busy" mantra.

I pray I develop the art of listening to people with my whole attention and making them feel that I have plenty of time for them and that I consider it a privelege to do so.

I have learned a graceful way to give people attention when you don't have the time. It's this response: "I so want to spend time with you (or talk/listen to you), but at this moment, I am in the middle of (x,y,x) or on the way to (x,y,z) and I'm afraid I won't be able to give you my full attention. Would you mind if I give you a call when I am able to?" And then call when you can. Or schedule a time right then (if possible) for a future talk or get-together, etc.

I pray that God would comfort me if I don't recieve that same blessing. For, I know He always has time for me-and never makes me feel like a burden or that I am hampering him during his busy schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment