Wednesday, May 5, 2010

6/20/2006 Dentist Day

This morning didn't go too smoothly once the kids got up-LOL. I did not have all my ducks in a row! It went fine beforehand-I got 4 cloth diapers finished for a friend and sent them on their with Pat as he was going to see the husband today.

The problem is I let them sleep in too late. We had a dentist appt at 9:30 and it takes 35 minutes to get there. It wasn't a wailing & gnashing of teeth morning, just a crazy, lets get out the door morning. On the way out the driveway, Hannah told me the chicken door net was loose on the top half. So, running late, I jumped out of the car and found the staple gun and stapled it back on the door. I didn't want the 25 young chickens out while we were gone as they are basically 25 meals on wheels.

At the bottom of our hill the gas bell starts dinging. My dh tells me I can go at least 30 miles after that happens, but it makes me very nervous, so I stopped at the gas station in the next town. They changed their gas-they're no longer a sunoco and I had a sunoco card and no others on me. And no cash. So, I hopped in the car and zoomed out of there praying I'd make it to the dentist. A mile down the road I see the gas cap flopping on the side of the car, so have to stop again to close it.

We made it to the dentist right on time. As we were walking in, Susanna was to the side of me and stopped when she all the people in the waiting room. I had already let go of the door and it closed on her foot and she let out a wail.

There was a policeman in there waiting for a teeth cleaning and Jonah went right up to him to tell him his dad was a cop and it turned out that this man knew Pat.

So, Jonah talked and talked like he usually does, but thank goodness he didn't embarrass me this time.LOL.

Both kids have 2 little cavities-their first time getting them.

I really can't stand going to the dentist. I didn't even have an appt and my heart was racing and my hands felt sweaty. As soon as I opened the door and smelled that dentist smell, I got a pit in my stomach.

The kids love to go and get new toothpaste, brushes, floss, stickers & pencils. They also love our dental hygenist-she is great with them!

So, we got home, had lunch and I really need to get the kids' quarterly reports done this week for the school district. Hannah watched the baby for me so I could work on them. I got most of Jonah's done and then we had to go to piano lessons.

The kids scraped up a bunch of coins in a baggie before we left the house hoping I'd stop at the ice cream store on the way home. I did and they were thrilled. Hannah said to me, "Mom, I can't believe you let Susanna have that ice pop with all the food color in it." I thought it was funny she noticed that.

We found a dead butterfly in good shape at the ice cream shop, so we brought it home and are going to learn how to preserve itand tack it down to something and get a frame for it. We think it's a red admiral butterfly. Not sure-we looked in all our books, but that's the closest we could find. We'll search on the computer today.

I am hoping to get Susanna down for a late nap shortly here and the two older ones are out in the woods playing creation scientists. We've been listening to Jonathan Park audio CDs this week and they've been really inspired by the stories. We've been learning all kinds of science from the stories, too!

Hannah has really been thinking about all the fossils they found around here and was telling me how neat she thought it was that the global flood left fossils right where we live, too. She had some other things to say about it, too. I love it when I can "see" them thinking.

We didn't "do any school" today, but the kids were out collecting moths & butterflies and noticing the differences in anteannae and bodies. They made a critter cage for them. Hannah got out a bunch of nature books to do her own research on how to feed them and what their names were. She made a tiny bowl from a rock with a natural hole in it (from the shore) and put sugar water in it.

Pat gave them a big piece of plywood and they made a chalkboard to keep in the woods by their Creation Science workshop to list all their findings. I had a can of chalkboard spray-I sprayed it for them.

Jonah was much better behaved today. He made a point of coming to tell me that he brought food upstairs not thinking and I praised him for coming and telling me and hugged him. He really was his sweet normal self today-thank you, Lord! But, what is it about the day after he plays with friends? I still don't understand it.

Pat hulled and froze a flat of strawberries and I made 2 batches of strawberry jam. The kids cleaned up the kitchen table and then went to jump on the trampoline and were being so silly out there spraying each other with water guns. Susanna plopped herself down in her sandbox and had sand for dessert. I don't know what it is about little ones eating sand-YUCK!!

I don't know how others make freezer jam, but here is how I do it. It's so easy. Put fresh strawberries in the food processor, add a couple teaspoons of raw sugar to suit your taste. Puree, pour into hot clean jars, put tops on and stick in the freezer.

We also had a yummy dinner-marinated grilled wild turkey breast (my dh shot), fruit salad with a little vanilla yogurt in it and cole slaw. I'd never made cole slaw before and it turned out great.

No comments:

Post a Comment