Monday, May 10, 2010

2/1/07 Treadmill-Prayer Session saved the day

We had a really good school day yesterday!
I didn't really feel like doing school to begin with. I got up early and felt kind of hum drum and bored with routine. I made myself go do the treadmill and made myself pray. Once I got started, I really got on a roll. I prayed about Pat & I seeking God's kingdom before all else. I prayed about us turning our hearts more fully toward our family. I prayed for patience and kindess to be the law of my mouth. I prayed the school day would be run by the Lord. He knows what they'll be and what they need to know.
Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed with all the things I want the kids to learn, but it doesn't ever seem there's enough time to teach it all. It is impossible to teach it all! And even more impossible to retain it all. I have to remind myself that every person has gaps in their education-wether they went to private school, public school or homeschool.
I prayed the Lord would instill the kids with a love of learning--that they will have the tools to fill in gaps when they need to and that His grace would also fill them.
He reminded me that every time I've come to a point where I needed to be more educated, I got it. Wether by more college, on the job training or my favorite mode--self education.
I was so encouraged after my treadmill-prayer session. God, thank you for filling my cup to over flowing!
Susanna(2) & I didn't do as much together one-on-one as I would have liked, but she and I did have fun making shakes and she put ham in the scrambled eggs for breakfast. We made breakfast while the other kids were feeding animals outside. I have to consciously remember to let her do things that she thinks is fun, but makes things take longer to get done. She did really well with short mommy sessions spread throughout the day. She's gotten to be such a little snugglebug, that she is getting better about just sitting on my lap while we do school and then she's happy to run off and play by herself for a bit.
Here's a run down of what we did yesterday:
1. Bible and memory verses
2. copywork from George Washington's Rules of Civility
3. drill of our greek & latin root words
4. math lessons
5. Easy Grammar lessons, Daily Grams, ETC(for Jonah)
6. We read from Patrick Henry : Firebrand of the Revolution
7. Did some research on the Liberty Bell--learned that Leviticus 25:10 is inscribed inside it. We added that verse to our memory verse box to work on today.
Learned that the Liberty Bell was given this name because of the liberty from Britian our country was striving for, but also the anti-slavery society had a hand in it's name to help support their cause.
8. We discussed what unalienable rights are, why they are so important and learned who did not have them when our country started. Learned that many of the founding fathers disagreed with slavery and that they planned to work to remedy it after the revolution was won.
Also learned that Britian started the slave trade here.
9.Worked on our "History Scribe" notebook. Hannah(11) did a page on Paul Revere and illustrated it. Jonah(8) narrated a page about the MinuteMen and illustrated it. I wrote his narration down for him. He's more much descriptive if I write and he can talk without having to concentrate on writing. Plus, he did a lot of writing during phonics, grammar & math.
10. Learned about some of Ben Franklin's inventions and made some. This was so much fun!! We made a thermometer with a plastic water bottle with narrow neck, a clear straw, playdoh, alcohol, water & food coloring. Pur equal parts water & alcohol into bottle, fill to about 1/8 of the way up. Add couple drops color. Insert straw, but don't let it touch the bottom. Hold the straw in with playdog-keep the top of the straw open to air. Now, hold the upper part of the bottle with your hand (don't squeeze). The heat from your hand causes the alcohol in the water to expand and the only way for it to go is up the straw. It worked and it was so neat!!
We also made a lemon battery-which sort of worked, but not that great. Maybe we needed a fresher lemon.
And we made bottle pipes-skinny glass jars with different amounts of water. We used Susanna's xylophone to make a series of notes that matched and then we played "Mary Had a Little Lamb" with the bottle pipes. Each jar has to be same size-preferable tall, thin with narrow neck. This was really fun! Jonah had a hard time getting air to make sound over the bottles, but he did get some notes in and didn't get frustrated. He's been getting frustrated a lot lately, which isn't normal for him. It's something that's been troubling me and we're trying to work thru it.
11. Hannah did some reading in her assigned book for this week, Calico Bush.
12. We also watched "The Patriot", but we had to fast forward most of the battle scenes. We still got the idea seeing it in fast motion, but it was easier to handle. The story was excellent, although there was so much sadness and heartbreak in it. The more I learn about the Revolution, the more in awe I am of the people who lived (and died)thru that.
Oh, we so take what we have for granted.
Well with such a busy day,I didn't get much house cleaning done and our meals were all left-overs, but that's ok. We did some quick tidy-ups and the left-overs were good.

No comments:

Post a Comment