Thursday, May 6, 2010

7/20/06 Lately...

It's been SO busy here!

My dh was in a fishing tournament and he brought home a ton of salmon, so there was lots of time spent de-boning & vacuum-freezing. We are also getting ready for a camping trip to Maine for 8 days.

So,we got the cap on the truck, which was quite a job. The cap is kept on a pulley. We both had a rope to slowly lower it and guide it onto the truck. It was so heavy, I started to panic, and didn't think I could hang on to the rope. Hannah & Jonah rushed up to help me, though, thank goodness.

Pat & Jonah(8) also changed all the tires on the truck. Pat showed him how to use a power tool of some sort to get all the lug nuts off and Jonah really got into that!

The calf had been getting loose a lot and we've had to get him back in each time by getting behind him and clapping. The solar panel broke, so we had to buy a new one and get that hooked up also. It seems to be working.

Monday I met Pat's parents halfway so Hannah could go with them on an overnight and to take a sewing class near my in-laws. While she was there she decorated a cake-this is something she has voiced an interest in as a future occupation. So, I encouraged her to start now instead of waiting. My MIL used to decorate cakes as a hobby, so she helped Hannah get started. When we get back from Maine, we'll start getting together a basic cake decorating kit for her so she can practice and be as creative as she wants-she has a flare for creativity. She did a beautiful job. Here's a pic of it:

She had her sewing class on Tuesday and made a beautiful feminine skirt for herself. I am so thrilled because it has been very difficult finding modest feminine skirts for her in her size. She is 10 yrs old.

So, now she knows how make these skirts and she is going to show me how to do it, too. I am so happy about it because we can make some of her clothes. I can sew cloth dipes, but sewing clothes has been hard for me because I don't understand the language on the patterns. I need to see how it's done.

Picked her up at the halfway point Tuesday afternoon and my MIL surprised me with 3 absolutely gorgeous sundresses that she made for Susanna.

The rest of Tuesday was nice & relaxing. Went swimming with the kids and we read books together. I missed having my oldest girlie home. It's amazing how different things are here when one of the kids aren't home. Jonah was such a big help to me while Hannah was gone, so it wasn' t that I had more work. I just missed her.

Wednesday, I spent quite a bit of time trying to make lists and get organized for the camping trip. I lost last year's list, of course, since I put it in a safe place so I wouldn't lose it. LOL

We took Jonah's bike to the repair shop and went shopping for some camping food & paper supplies at Walmart.

I have to pick his bike up today.

We finally found someone we can trust to take care of our animals and check up on our place while we're gone. That was a big concern for me.

Last night we got the horses moved to the lower pasture, firewood stacked in the trailer and the camping bags & crates up from the basement so I can start getting all the piles of clothes & supplies off the table.

Also this week, I've been trying to work in cooking with a fermentation process. I'm reading The Maker's Diet and Nourishing Traditions, so I made basmati rice and kidney beans using fermentation. It turned out pretty well. The rice was stickier than normal, though. I made Monteray Beans & Rice as a side dish for dinner and it was delicious!

I am really working on our diet since there is so much ill health in Pat's family. I really feel that good nutrition is key, so even though it is taking more time and energy, I am commited to it. I don't necessarily believe that bad health is inherited, but don't want to take chances either, by being cavalier with our diet. We've also added a lot more raw foods to our diet.

All week I've been struggling with an internal issue (not physical) which I have not been able to reach a resolution for. I do have more peace about it, but need to be more faithful in praying continually about it instead of worrying & fretting.

No comments:

Post a Comment