Friday, May 7, 2010

9/3/06 My Little Hunting & Fishing Man

My Jonah(8) wants to be just like his Dad. So, of course, he wants to be a hunter just like Dad. The other day Jonah got on his hunting coveralls, his orange hat, his bow and arrows, a snack & a drink and went out into the woods and got into one of my dh's tree stands.

This is something he plays and never shoots anything except at targets.

When he came back(about 45 mins later), my dh was home from work and he told us this:

"I almost had tonight's dinner, Dad."

We looked at him waiting for the story. He continues, "I saw a flock of turkeys in the path and there was a big tom turkey with a long beard. But, since he was the only tom in the flock, I figured I probably shouldn't shoot him."

I am looking at him in amazement, wanting to laugh at his seriousness, and wondering if he could really shoot something.

My dh stays serious and tells him that was a good decision. He then asks Jonah if he knew that it wasn't turkey season. (He didn't mention that besides the face he's not old enough and has to be with an adult-and only then just to watch. That was a conversation for later on while they were putting together a double tree stand in the barn.)

Jonah says, "It's not? You can't hunt turkey whenever you need it?"

Pat says, "No, Jonah-this isn't the wild wild west. You can't just shoot things whenever you want, bud." LOL

This morning they went fishing on a friend's charter boat with another HS Dad and his son (friends of ours). The HS Dad is our chiropractor, too.

Last night Jonah went to bed early on his own letting us all know he needed plenty of rest for the big day of fishing. LOL

He even got his clothes ready. So, they are off fishing for Salmon. I got up with them this morning to pack their lunch and Jonah told me he'd bring home a big king Salmon for dinner.

He caught a 20 pounder last time. Can't wait to see what they bring home this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment