Friday, May 7, 2010

9/11/06 Treestands, Horses & Firewood, Oh My!

That sums up our weekend. LOL

We had very little plans for the weekend-needed to get lots done to get ready for winter-we have to add on to our chicken house, empty and take down the pool, take the borrowed bull back to his owner, butcher 13 roosters, Pat is trying to finish up my school shelves, and we need to START our firewood.

Normally, we have half our wood done by now, but this summer, my dh agreed to go in with a friend of his and cut wood to sell this year-that's what he's worked on.

So, here's what actually happened:

Saturday morning, he went to a friend's to help him put together a double tree stand. We all went, too, as the friend's wife is my best friend. It was fun, but it took a lot longer than planned.

We got home, and Hannah (10) ended up having 3 friends over (all live on our road) and they all (plus Jonah) had a mock horse show complete with ribbons and trophies. They had been planning this for a month, but we didn't know when it was going to happen.

Jonah(8) got third place because his horse decided to take off on him and ran to the shed to stand in it with him still on thank goodness. That was a little scary for him.

My dh also practiced shooting his handgun at a target as he is going to be taking a 2 week school to become a firearms instructor for the police dept.

Then he & Jonah shot their bows.

Sunday we ended up not going to church as he told his brother he could drive out there with the wood splitter & chain saw to help him cut his firewood for his fireplace. I thought that was just going to be for the morning, but he didn't get home until 4pm. Jonah went with him and worked alongside. My BIL gave him $5 for helping-he didn't expect that, and was so excited about it. Pat's brother did offer to come and spend a day here helping us do firewood, so that was really nice. Many hands make lighter work.

So, the girls and I did the grocery shopping and to get supplies I needed to finish putting together my "Brain in a Binder" book. And I worked on that, too. I was going to go trail-riding with Hannah during Susanna's nap, but Pat didn't get home soon enough.

This wasn't planned either, but soon after he got home, a family that lives down the road came up to visit for a bit. The Dad & his son brought their bows and all the menfolk shot bows to get ready for hunting season coming up. I wish I got a pic-it was cute-men and boys of all different height all staring down a deer target-LOL.

The wife and I visited while Hannah and her friend, Danielle (dd of the other family) went horse-back riding in the pasture. My toddler and their preschooler sort of played together.

We walked down to the pasture to check on the girls and there was another rider on a horse in the driveway. It was a neighbor down the road and she asked if the girls could come with her for a short trailride in the fields across our property. So, much to their excitement, we let them. They did really well and had fun.

My excitement of the evening was running after a rooster as it chased our friend's dd. I caught up to them just in time to kick it away before it got a hold of her. We had told her a few times not to go near the chickens, but she didn't listen- she did after that. She didn't get hurt, but it scared her. I'm so glad I reached the rooster in time.

Our friends had already eaten their dinner, so we ended up eating our dinner at 8pm after they left-LOL. We had beef roast, potatoes, carrots and rolls.

So, that was it. It was mostly fun, but I wish we had one more day of weekend to just stay home and do homey things and our much needed to get done things.

I am thankful for my dh who really does have the gift of help-if he had more free time, he'd be happy helping people with that extra time. I pray that when he is able to retire he will be in good health and shape as he'd love nothing better than to help others in any way with no payment in return. Before we had kids and a homestead we could often be found hauling corn, throwing haybales, pulling people out of ditches during snowstorms (we'd just start driving in the city where we lived at the time w/his truck and a tow rope and anyone we found stuck, we'd hitch them up and pull them out-he even pulled out one of those mini-school buses once), doing wood, helping build houses, etc. As long as I was with him, I didn't care what we were doing-it was always fun. Now, with kids, I sometimes get to go, but not as often as I'd like. And, he doesn't have the time to do all that anymore anyway. But, I can see it in our future. Jonah & Hannah love to go with Daddy to help others, too. I pray they will learn by his example. There are so many people content to just do their own thing and not lift a finger for others without a price tag. But, that's rant I better not get into. LOL

So, now you know what we'll be doing next weekend! What we were going to do this weekend. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment