Thursday, May 6, 2010

7/10/2006 Long Weekend

I love weekends-my dh is home then, so that is my favorite part of the week. Often during the week he works long hours with overtime and has a part-time job as well. So, I never know if he'll be home before we go to bed or not during the week

We didn't do anything overly exciting, just got things done around here and enjoyed simple pleasures.

We did go to his sister's house Saturday afternoon, though. The kids really enjoyed that. They got to play with their cousins who are adults and love to play with our little kids. They have an in-ground pool with a slide & diving board, so Hannah & Jonah spent a lot of time diving, sliding and swimming. Jonah has gotten much better at swimming-I was so amazed. They play in our 3.5 ft pool all the time and I didn't know he could do so well in deep water.

I am afraid of deep water and don't swim really well, so I am always nervous when my kids are in deep water. My dh swims like a dolphin, so I was glad he was there. Susanna wore a life vest and loved the water, too. That was her first time in a pool-she's never cared for chilly water before this.

Besides that little trip, Pat & Jonah got about 6 cords of wood split and part of it stacked. I did a lot of work in my garden-finally got all the garden paths filled with the bark mulch-it looks great! Once my dh moves the dump trailer out of the way, I'll get a picture of it to post. I also got the second batch of swiss chard planted. I'm using the bed that had garlic in it that I harvested last week.

Sunday Pat & the kids went to pick up a bull from friend, Toby's house. We're borrowing him for the summer to breed our beef cow and Fred's(farmer friend down the road) beef cows. He went to Fred's first.

While they were at Toby's house, they helped unload 3 wagons of hay bales. I wish I had been there. I love doing hay. It's hard work, but is fun when there's a lot of people doing it. And I just find great satisfaction in it, too.

I stayed home with Susanna, played with her and did some sewing that I have needed to do all week and haven't gotten to.

Took the kids out for ice cream after dinner last night and when we got home it started to thunder and lightening. So, we sat on the porch watching the lightening for awhile-it was quite a lightening show.

This morning Pat was gone for work before I got up. He called me to let me know he had an interesting morning. As he was leaving for work, he heard our mama cow bellowing at the lower pasture. He went down there and found the calf outside the pasture. So, while trying to get the calf in, our "bad boy" horse got out and ran up the driveway eyes wide and tail high-LOL. He got the calf in and had to lure Retro back in with grain.

So the kids need to walk the fence today to make sure there aren't any loose wires and when Pat comes home, he's going to weedwack all around the pasture fence in case it's getting grounded by tall grass.

Our biggest concern is coyotes-they're presence lately has been heard and seen frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment