Monday, May 10, 2010

11/9/06 Voting Day

Election Day is an important day in our household. The day's lessons were centered around it. The history of our country seems to fill us with wonder at how we came to have the privelege and duty of voting. This election day was a little more special to us than usual. Not because of the candidate selection-I wasn't overly thrilled with hardly any of them. But because the meaning of it really seemed to hit the kids this year. We've spent the last couple months doing the Crime & Punishment Unit in Konos. We've memorized the 10 Commandments, learned to sing the Preamble of the Constitution, studied laws, our court system, especially the Supreme Court.

So, at dinner we were discussing the issues I had printed off from the computer and one of the issues was this:

"appointing judges that will adhere to strict interpretation of the Constitution."

One was opposed and the other had no response to it.

HUH???

So, my dh & I were discussing this at dinner and Hannah(10) was sitting there with her mouth hanging open. She said, "but Mom, all of our countries laws are based on that!" and Jonah agreed.

Hmm-young children get it, yet supposedly well-educated adults in positions of leadership don't.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised as they are trying to banish the 10 Commandments from all court buildings, too.

I find the state of our country's government & moral fabric crushingly sad. Yet, I am comforted in the fact that our God reigns!

Anyway, I was proud of my children at dinner. And my dh was impressed. After dinner we went to vote.

On the way there Jonah asked how old you have to be before you can vote and was disappointed to find out he has to wait 10 yrs.
I let him come in the booth with me, close the curtain and push down all the levers and open the curtain.
He was so pleased that he got to vote for me. And it was so cute how careful he was-he wanted to make sure he didn't press the wrong ones.
They do this every time we vote and I am so pleased that they are looking forward to voting on their own someday. I don't understand why everyone isn't voting-it just boggles my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment