Monday, May 10, 2010

1/8/07 First Week of the Year

We started the week with the stomach bug. Susanna had it for more than a day(her first time throwing up), then Jonah had it for 6 hours. Hannah didn't get it, but had a cold for 2 days. I didn't get any of their illness somehow! Usually Hannah & I get sick and stay sick for almost a week or more. This time I was on the ball. As soon as I got an inkling (which was when a friend came over with sick children) we all started taking raw garlic, cinnamon, echinacea & grapefruit seed extract.
Here's a cute thing Susanna said a few mornings ago: The sky was beautiful-bright pinks and oranges with streaks of purple. I showed it to Susanna and she said, "oh pretty!" I said, "God painted such a beautiful sky for us today, didn't he?" She continued to look at the sky with a look of wonder and said, "oh, God...thankum." (thank you) I tell you-it made me get teary the way she said it.
Another thing she's been doing that is so sweet is patting my back when I'm holding her. Here's an older pic of her doing "schoolwork"-it was taken a couple months ago.
Our weekend was a busy one!
Pat borrowed our friend's tractor and gave everyone new round bales in their pasture feeders, he got milk from the farm, I ran it thru the pasteurizer, took eggs to a neighbor, the kids did animal chores, we all stacked firewood for a bit. Susanna stacked bark-LOL.
I made pancakes for brunch and when I cracked an egg into the batter, a tiny(3/4 inch long) partially formed chick (not alive) came out of the egg. That was gross, but educational. I threw that batter out and restarted. One of our hens is being a royal pain and thinks she needs to sit on eggs all the time-and then growls at the kids when they take her eggs. Maybe it's the warm weather. My garlic is also growing-anyone know if it'll be ok when we finally get some real snow? Will it die? Should I plant more? Advice please!
Hannah & Jonah had their first archery class for this season on Saturday. We brought Piper with us and he did great! He normally has a hard time seeing lots of kids and not playing with them(he whines), so we've been putting him in that situation as much as possible and he's finally getting it that if the vest is on he can't play. And he only whined once. Poor thing-I feel badly for him not letting him play-he just loves kids and other dogs and wants to play!
Several of the kids' friends are in the same class. They had a good time and did well. I had to be mother bear, though. Jonah was shooting at a target 2 targets away from where he was standing. It was also the longest shot target. I asked him why he was doing that and he said the 2 older (about 11) boys wouldn't let him share that space and they were mean to him. Jonah would let anyone shoot with him and share his arrow holder-in fact, he invites people to shoot next to him. So, I said to him-"you get right over there and you can be sure noone will be mean to you while I'm around."
So, Jonah asked him if he could shoot next to him and tried to put his arrows in the holder and the boy shoved him away. I was right behind him and he didn't see me. I leaned forward and said "I'm sure you don't mind sharing this arrow holder, do you?" He then said, no and made room for Jonah.
Makes my blood boil! This boy wasn't even shooting at the furthest target-he was shooting at the closer target 2 places over.
Pat went to work from there and I took kids and dog home. They all had a snack and watched a movie. I got to work on the upstairs. I came downstairs with 4 bags and a box of stuff to give away. Moved shelves and took big plastic shelves out of my room, put them in the loft and organized the toys into different tubs.
I "went shopping in our home" as Cindy's Porch suggests and found crates in the basement to put model horses in, wooden blocks in, big legos in. Also found a cute thing for hanging clothes on I forgot we had and I'm going to have Pat hang those in Hannah's room for her jackets & bathrobe.
She is starting to want her room to look different-not little girlish anymore. So, I'm trying to help her out with that without buying anything right now.
After the movie, Hannah & I worked on her room together and Jonah went thru his room and came out with toys he doesn't play with anymore to give away.
It felt so good to do this!! I have more to do, though.
This morning Jonah really made me proud. I woke up hearing all kinds of noise. Pat & I went downstairs to see what was going on. Apparently one of the older dogs had diarrhea and went all over the place-the kitchen, dining room and HS room (thank goodness not on the rugs) and guess what. Instead of waking us up, Jonah was cleaning it!!!
He used up 2 rolls of paper towels, but I didn't care. I was so proud of him for seeing something that needed to be taken care of (even though it was a very nasty job) and he took care of it and did a good job even.
We told him we'd finish it up for him, but he said, "no-I got it mom-you guys can go back to bed." I am open-mouthed in astonishment still. I did insist on helping him though-he was gagging. You should know this is the boy that frustrates me to no end most days and then some days, POW-he shocks me.
Here's something funny-he was reading his Bible the other day and I asked him what he read. He shrugged his shoulders and said he had no idea. I questioned him and he said, "well, first I was reading about a baptist and then all of a sudden it's going on and on about some guy and son of someone, son of someone, son of someone...." LOLROF!!! It was hysterical.
Sunday we ended up having church at home. Pat had gotten home from work at 3:00am.
After lunch Hannah's friend Danielle came over and Jonah's friends, Michael & Paulie(brothers) came over. They all had a great time and played so well together. The boys mostly played in a swampy area with little hills and valleys all over--just the right size for boys and dogs to leap around on--and said boys and dogs came back covered in mud, but happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment