Thursday, May 6, 2010

7/5/2006 Wonderful Long Weekend

What a great weekend we had. Pat was off for 4 days-that was the best part! Then my Aunt, Uncle, Grandma & Jared(8) came to visit with us. We all had a really nice time just hanging out & talking, swimming in the pool, 4-wheeling, playing pitch and softball.

We had a little party on Sunday with a bunch of our friends as well & more family. We had a bonfire, snacks & fireworks-a lot of them!

I had meals planned out well for once and everyone loved the food. I made several things I'd never made before and I am adding these to my menu plans that I am making up.

I also made cheesecake for the first time-strawberry swirl. Pat said it was the best he'd ever eaten.

I also made yogurt for the first time and oh. my. goodness. It was so yummy with pureed strawberries mixed in and home-made granola sprinkled on top!

Our softball game was so much fun. We made up our own rules and it was hysterical. We had no bases, so each person just decided where the base was and said, I'm safe!! The grass was wet, too, so we all kept slipping & sliding. We threw the foam ball at people to get them out, except, noone really ever was "out." Pat tried to tag me when I got to "first base." But, I declared I was on the base before he got me, so he picked me up and carried me away yelling, "I'm taking this girl home with me!" It was so funny!

My Aunt Sue ran really funny(like a penguin sort of), so Uncle John imitated her each time he ran.

The kids had such a ball. Susanna was running all over since the ball was just foam and she couldn't get hurt from it. She ran thru dog poop and so did Jared.

At one point while 2 people were running around "the bases", the 2 dogs tore thru at the same time chasing the cat. It was just mass confusion and we laughed hysterically thru the whole game.

Yesterday we took a drive to a touristy-type town, went sight-seeing and window-shopping, had lunch at a yummy restaurant and then had ice cream. We also took a boat cruise along the lake there-which was beautiful.

When we got home we were all tired, so we watched National Treasure & then had a light dinner.

Saw more fireworks last night.

Yesterday morning I did a little lesson with the kids on Independence day. I don't want them to think it's just a day for grilling & fireworks.

Independence day really gives me the chills when I think about the very first one. Here's a great link I found that we read out loud:

http://pages.prodigy.net/constitution/129.html

No comments:

Post a Comment