Monday, May 10, 2010

12/15/06 Nursing Home Christmas Program (& other stuff)

Yesterday was nice out, so we didn't do a lot of school, but we did our Bible reading, memory verses, greek/latin root words, times tables w/ Jonah (we used TimesTales-what a fantastic program!), played an educational card game about inventors, read one of our Christmas books (that we have wrapped in Christmas paper in the book basket) and read a bio of Esther Reed-a woman during the Revolutionary war. The kids each did a narration on her.
We had gym class. Jonah got a black eye and a bloody nose. He ran into someone's hand during dodgeball.
Did a little shopping after that, got the kids a snack.
When we got home, Pat was there-home early to continue working on butchering deer. I got Susanna down for a nap and wrapped meat.
Hannah & Jonah did some pick-up around the property since it was nice out and played. Jonah came back in to cut fat off meat. He loves doing this.
We had our Christmas program at the nursing home, so got together a shepherd costume for Jonah and Hannah practiced her 2 piano pieces.
It went well, except once when one of his friend's dads said something that hurt his feelings. It wasn't anything major, but Jonah came to me very upset. We went somewhere quiet and he started crying saying that his friend's Dad didn't like him. It turns out that Jonah asked his friend if he wanted to sit with him while they waited for their turn in the program. The Dad whispered to his son that he didn't want him to be influenced to misbehave-something like that.
I don't think he meant it the way Jonah perceived it because he was very friendly to Jonah and his friend hung out with him most of the time.
I've had Jonah stay with me if I think he's going to make noise around other boys when he should be being quiet, so I'm thinking that is probably what this dad meant.
Anyway, it surprises me sometimes when I get a glimpse of just how sensitive he can be, since he often doesn't show that side. Here he is as a shepherd-he's wearing the blue material on his head:
Hannah did a beautiful job on her piano pieces. She did make a couple mistakes & she wasn't happy about that-I think it was because she had to use a keyboard instead of a piano and never had used one before.
Jonah's friendliness and talkativeness embarrasses me sometimes and sometimes his friendlieness makes me fear for his safety, too. Well, this was a place that he was able to let loose and honor the Lord at the same time!
After the program we visited with the nursing home residents. I told Jonah he could talk to anyone there and I wouldn't stop him.
I was so proud of him-he was so kind and smiling and really made good conversation with these precious elderly people.
One of them did convince him to wheel her out of the room, though. I caught him before he got out with her. He said, "Mom, she asked me to help her. She doesn't want to be in this room anymore. It's too noisey for her." LOL!
Hannah, on the other hand, was uncomfortable. She sat near a lady that was leaning back with her mouth fixed open, making gagging sounds. She did talk to others, but had a hard time understanding what they were saying. She did help hand out the handmade gifts and enjoyed that.
In the car she said that the way they looked just made her sad and she didn't know what to say. I totally understood. I probably should have prepped them more and helped them with conversation starters, but I didn't think of it. Next time I'll know, and we can prepare better.
I realize now that I had talked to them about this being a ministry type thing to bring light & joy to the residents and to please the Lord, but I didn't give them the tools. Jonah didn't need it, but Hannah did.
Anyway, we got home and there were 3 guys in the basement butchering deer and Susanna was on the basement floor with a little TV Pat brought down there. She was all set with movies and cookies. She was up until 10:00!!!
Hannah brought her upstairs for me so I could wrap meat. I took a break to get her to bed and went back down to wrap meat. We've done 4 deer this week-one of them ours. It's always fun as I enjoy listening to the guys talk while I wrap. They're all so funny and they appreciate me wrapping their meat for them (I don't cut meat-just wrap) as they all do a terrible job wrapping. One of them tried and his package looked like a crumpled up paper snowball-LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment