Friday, May 7, 2010

8/3/06 Getting Back in My Groove

I'm starting to get back into the swing of things. The last couple of days have been spent unpacking & doing laundry. Yesterday afternoon, I became inspired by a website I was checking out and so I rounded up the kids to do some schooling.

We are doing the "Waiting" sub unit in "Patience" of Konos Vol. #1

This is a character trait that Jonah really needs help with especially. We read James 5:8, Mathew 6:27, Isiaih 40:31.

We talked about people in the Bible we are going to be reading about this week-Joseph, Jacob, Job, David. We also went over the vocab list.

We read Psalm 40:1 out loud and I asked the kids why we should wait upon the Lord and that we wait because God is doing something good that takes time.

Jonah wanted to know "well, what is He doing?"

My answer was that we are a work in progress and that God completes the good work He started in us and that it takes all of our lives.

To illustrate waiting, I asked the kids to go sit and wait in the living room. Jonah said, "why do we have to go in there? What are you going to do?" I told him he would have to WAIT and see.

He said, "Well, how long is that going to take??"

Hannah & I started laughing and I said, "Oh, boy, Jonah-you are going to have a hard time with this unit, aren't you?"

So, they went. I made them a snack and then called them back. We talked about what might be happening behind the scenes while we wait for something.

We then worked on memorizing Isaiah 40:31. We reviewed similes and metaphors and the kids found the simile in this verse.

We talked about situations where we have to wait-doctor's office, red light or slow traffic, waiting for dinner, and recently waiting 7 hours to get to Maine.

Discussed things to do while waiting, objects to keep in your pocket in case of waiting times.

Talked how being prepared to wait is easier than having to wait unexpectedly.

We read about a P.O.W who played golf in his mind for years of captivity to keep from going crazy. I had the kids pick a favorite activity and visualize themselves doing it in their heads. Hannah thought that was fun, but Jonah said he'd rather do it than think about it-LOL.

We discussed a quote of Benjamin Franklin's-"Haste makes waste."

Looked up haste, hasty & hasten in the dictionary so they could figure out what that expression means on their own.

We made up a song to learn how to spell "patient" as it isn't spelled the way it sounds. We marched along as we sang it. Susanna(22 months) loved that. She ran around saying "I" and "T", which was so cute since she has no idea what letters are.

Jonah still had a hard time learning the spelling, so I spelled it on his back, which didn't seem to work well because he ended up collapsed on the floor laughing. But, then a few minutes later he had it!

We read an adorable book by Dr. Seuss called McElligot's Pool about a boy fishing in a little pool and someone tells him he's a fool because there's no fish in it. But, the boy imagines how the pool might be linked to the sea by an underground stream and all the fantastic kinds of fish he might catch if he's patient long enough.

That really inspired Jonah-he got his fishing pole, some worms and went fishing in "frogpond". It's just a small pond my dh made for the horses & cows to get water from in the pasture and it is really like the pool in the book because there aren't any fish in it. But, the imagination that was triggered in Jonah's mind by the book was thrilling!

So, that was it. The rest of the day the kids went swimming & played and helped me around the house. Hannah did some sewing. I set Susanna up to paint with q-tips while the classical music was on. She loves that.

I mowed the lawn at dusk since it was hot earlier. I didn't know the mower had headlights! Good thing or it would have been only half fiinished. It was kind of fun mowing in the dark. Except for the bats and monster moths-LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment