Friday, May 7, 2010

10/7/06 Nature Center Field Trips

Yesterday was the last day of our 5 week Nature Course with a group of HS families at a Nature Center. The first week was about bogs, second week about beavers, third week about animal and human impacts, the fourth week was about trees, seeds & leaves and yesterday was a fossil find and a potluck lunch party afterwards. We were gone from the house from 9:30 until 2:00!

The 5 classes were a really good time and we learned a lot. The only bad thing about it was that there was a strong evolution line. It disturbs me how evolution is touted as fact, rather than the theory that it is.

I told my kids it was ok and after each class we discussed it. We referred to Answers In Genesis a lot.

It was a beautiful crisp fall day and when we got home I couldn't get warmed up! I put Susanna down for her nap and took a really warm bath with a hot cup of tea and read a book in the tub for about an hour. That was SO nice.

The kids put some new things in our nature notebook-we got some good pics of a praying mantis on our porch the other day.

Pat was home for dinner (the second time in 1 week) and so the kids and I did a house clean-up and set the table nicely with the cloth napkins and candles.

I made up a recipe on my own using stuff in the pantry. We're working on paying down debt we have and I'm really having some success with stretching our grocery money.

Here's the recipe:

1 bag of shredded hash browns
2 c cubed ham (Pat wanted ham, but I picked it out of mine)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
a squirt of mustard
salt & pepper
pinch of celery salt
2 or 3 tbsp dried onions
about 1 1/2 c milk
sprinkled in parmesan cheese
cheddar cheese
mix the potatoes & ham in a casserole dish. Heat up all the other stuff (except cheddar) in a saucepan until melted in together.
Pour over potatoes & ham and then sprinkle with shredded cheddar generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment