Friday, May 7, 2010

9/30/06 The Rest of the Week

I sure can laugh about Monday now! Pretty funny. The rest of the week went pretty well, although a bit too busy. We had a lot of interruptions that got in the way of some of my school plans. Tuesday Hannah had piano lessons and the farrier came in the evening. Wednesday a HS friend came over after lunch. Tammie and her 2 boys, Jonah and Yael. They had never been here before. Hannah took Tammie for a trail ride and they really enjoyed that. I took the boys, my Jonah and Susanna for a 4-wheeler ride. The dogs, Sam & Freya followed us. By the end of that poor Sam was dragging his back legs. He is almost 12 and I think he got cramps in his legs or hips maybe. But, he is getting old and he has had both of his hips "replaced" several years ago. I didn't know he was going to follow me, but I won't let him do that again. He really scared me. He was able to walk after resting a bit. All the horses had to have baths-even the one that didn't go because he ran up and down the pasture whinnying after his 2 friends that left him.

On their way back from their trail ride, Hannah had her friend Danielle on her horse with her. She met Danielle in her driveway as she got off the schoolbus. They called from her house to see if it was ok. So, Danielle stayed for a couple hours.

What a beautiful sunny and breezy day that was.

Tammie gave me some butternut squash from her garden. She told me she uses it instead of pumpkin. I've never used that squash before but I am now totally sold on it. It has so much less seeds to deal with and isn't anywhere near as watery as pumpkin. I made pumpkin muffins and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. Wow-they were delicious!

Thursday I watched a neighbor's 3 yr old girl for a few hours. Her son's class had a field trip at school and she wasn't allowed to bring siblings. Brooke kept Susanna entertained while the older kids did schoolwork. It worked out great.

Friday was the 4th class of a 5 week course we are taking with other HS kids at a Nature Center. We've learned about bogs, beavers, impacts and today was trees, seeds & leaves. It was really interesting. I took a pic of all the things we gathered for our nature notebooks and for our "nature table", but the camera batteries died and I can't get them on the computer yet. Pat was home, so Susanna stayed with him since it was damp and chilly. When we got back, I made chicken noodle soup to warm us all up and then we got on our work clothes and went out in the woods with Pat to build a "corduroy." I don't know if that's the right spelling. It's a logging term. We had to cut down young trees to use their trunks to lay across muddy wet areas as sort of a bridge. We also made one across a small stream. This is so we can haul firewood out of the woods without the 4-wheeler getting stuck.

It was a fun family work time. Jonah gave us a scare, though, as he wasn't paying attention and ran right in the path of a tree that was falling down. The top of the tree(it was tall, but not big) fell right on him and knocked him face first in the mud. That was really scary and he was crying quite a bit. After we got him calmed down and found that he wasn't hurt, we laughed so hard. His whole face was muddy except for his eyes. He looked like he had a white mask on. We wiped as much off as we could. Someone only his head got muddy. I kept laughing every so often. I got a pic with Pat's cell phone, but don't know how to get it on the computer. Later, he fell in the stream 3 times and got himself thoroughly wet and muddy before we got back to the house.

He also got 1 boot sucked off in the mud and another boot full of water. I don't know how he does it! I got myself stuck in the mud a couple times, too. Susanna played in the 4-wheeler wagon mostly. Piper came back a black puppy instead of a white puppy-LOL.

Pat went to work then around 3pm and Hannah's friend, Meaghan came over for a couple hours.

After she left, I had the kids fold 2 loads of laundry while listening to

To Kill a Mockingbird.

I went in the basement and found clothes that used to be Hannah's that now fit Susanna. It was so fun to go thru all those clothes. So many of the outfits took me back to when Hannah was 2 and 3(she's now almost 11). What a wonderful rush of memories that was. Oh, sometimes I wish I could freeze time or at least slow it down-they are growing up so fast. I still haven't learned how to enjoy every single moment to cherish it as much as I can. I hope I learn this before they are all grown.

Today it looks like it's going to be a gorgeous Autumn day. We will be doing firewood for half of the day, then Pat goes to work overtime.

http://www.gonecountrygraphics.com/home1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment