Monday, May 10, 2010

10/31/06 "Takin' care of business-every day,"

I've got that song going thru my head the last few days. I don't know who sings it. But, we really have been taking care of business-the usual Autumn chores.

We got the cows and horses moved to the winter pasture, Pat got his tree stand up, we all worked more on firewood, I got my garlic planted, the parsely & oregano cut and in the freezer, the flower gardens winterized & the strawberries cut down. I made sandwich bread, Italian bread, chocolate chip cookies and worked on canning applesauce.

Well, I had a lot of help from Jonah, too. Pat used to help his mom do canning when he was young. I told Jonah and he thought that was neat

Here's Jonah peeling apples and Susanna "washing" dishes. That jar on the windowsill is a terrarium. Don't mind my smudged windows please!

The kids & I did a project I have been wanting us to do. I love poetry and the kids do, too. I downloaded leaf templates from here http://kids.creativity-portal.com/free/fall.printables.shtml (scroll down) we wrote poetry on them, cut them out and pasted them onto construction paper and then cut those out leaving construction paper to be seen. We found Autumn poetry from some of our poetry books, but found some on these 2 websites, too:

http://www.dltk-holidays.com/fall/fallpoetry.htm and http://www.theholidayzone.com/autumn/poetry.html

We then taped our Autumn poetry leaves along the edge of the window.

In other school news, we are just about done with our Crime & Punishment unit in Konos. It took longer than I planned, but we learned a lot. I learned things I never knew and didn't know I never knew!! LOL. I wrote out on index cards all the courts and had the kids tape them to cardboard in the order that it all goes in. This chart is in the Konos book, so we looked at that. My dh is actually going to teach the kids all about the court system because I am having a hard time making head or tales of it.

I called him yesterday to ask him what is the appelate court and I pronouced it it "apple ate" and he laughed so hard at me! He's a police officer by the way. He explained it all to me and it makes much more sense now. I've had a hard time finding books that we can all understand. Here's our chart-hopefully dh will explain it to the kids this evening before we go to his parents' house:

After they learn this, I'll untape the cards and shuffle them up and let the kids re-tape them again in the right places.

We studied some famous trial yesterday-Joan of Arc, Galileo's trial vs the church (they were upset that he said the Earth orbited the sun instead of everything in space orbiting the Earth) and the Scopes Trial.

I've never head of the Scopes trial and when we learned what it was all about, I was totally floored and disgusted. Answers In Genesis has great info on this trial: http://answersingenesis.org/home/area/faq/scopes.asp

I didn't know the A*C*L*U was around as early as 1925 wreaking their havoc on the fabric of our country.

We have an awesome audio tape that in song teaches about patriotism, the Declaration of Independance, branches of gov't, checks and balances, the preamble(we can sing the words to the preamble), the military, etc.

Here's a link to it. I didn't buy it here, but here's a pic of it, a song list and I think you can listen to a few of the songs. I bought it from a HS convention a couple years ago.

http://www.constitutioncenter.org/constitutionday/display/nccsP/Take+Your+Hat+Off+When+the+Flag+Goes+By%21

We spent quite a bit of time reading about the Surpreme court-history and how it works-but it's been hard finding books or websites that are child friendly, too. I think we've got the gist of it at least, though.

Today we're not doing much school-it's nice out and probably is the last nice day of Autumn. Hannah had piano lessons, we'll do some reading and some art work. We're going to my dh's parents house this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment