Monday, May 10, 2010

10/25/06 My Dearest Man

Yesterday didn't start out so well. I was discouraged and frazzled. I couldn't get motivated or organized. I had to force myself to read my Bible, but didn't have ears to hear, eyes to see, and couldn't feel God's word breathe life into me.

I was discouraged with schooling, keeping the house, child training and meals. You name it-I was doing poorly at it.

The day was looking dismal and I didn't know how I was going to get it together.

At 9:oo I got in the shower and prayed to God for help. I pray best in the shower for some reason.

While praying, my mind was taken completely off of me and onto my dh. I still have me to deal with me(hopefully today), but it seemed the Lord was bringing to my mind all that my dh does around here for me and for our children. He sacrifices for us without complaint. He is the hardest working man I know-he is working 2 jobs, built me beautiful shelves last month, enlarged the chicken coop, continues to work on the neverending job of firewood, winterize the house & vehicles, etc, etc, etc.

My dh isn't a perfect man, but in my life, he's the most perfect man (human, of course) that I know(and extremely handsome, too. LOL). I admire and respect him in so many ways. He is fun, he is a man of his word. He's the kind of man where his handshake is as good as his word and is more binding than a signed agreement.

He's good at everything. If he doesn't know how to do something, he'll learn it and perfect it. I know if he is around, everything will be ok.

My dh doesn't think he's very intelligent, although I think(and know) he is. And, more importantly, he's got more common sense that most people I've ever come in contact with.

His Christian walk isn't something he talks about much. He's not likely to talk to others about God, but he shows it and lives it everyday with his actions-seen and unseen by others. He doesn't always verbalize his strong convictions, but he guides his family by it faithfully and protectively. I always feel safe with Pat no matter where we are. If he's at the helm, we're good. He's a fierce protector-not someone to be trifled with. He's also chivalrous, which I love.

He's the ultimate friend to me and to others-I can't even begin to list all his good qualities, but the one noticed most is loyalty. He has very few aquaintances, because most of them turn into good friends. His friends can always count on him-thru thick and thin.

I've read Created to be His Helpmeet (Debi Pearl)and I would say my dh is a Mr. Command Man with a large side of Mr. Steady and a smattering of Mr. Visionary.

With my personality, it hasn't been TOO hard for me to be the helpmeet to him that I need to be. I like for him to lead and to be in charge and don't feel the need to question him. And, if I do, I know how to do it and when. But, I often find I am lax in cultivating our relationship in certain areas the way I should. I love him dearly, but often take him for granted.

I give the majority of my attention and energy to our children and at the end of the day I want to collapse. In the morning, I am either up before him my mind whirling with the activities for the day or in bed still exhausted.

So, when do I have time for my dearest man?? Well, he has certainly gotten the leftovers for a long time. And I know in my heart that isn't anywhere good enough for him.

So, while in the shower, I had a revelation-I really believe God gave it to me. I came up with a plan-something I've never done before and I got very excited about it.

I called Pat on his cell phone and told him I had something very special planned for him this evening. I was going to feed the kids early and when he got home, he and I were going to have a candle lit picnic on a blanket on the floor of our bedroom. The kids would watch a movie and Hannah would watch Susanna.

He was thrilled, but wasn't sure if maybe it was too good to be true. Oh, my poor husband-I have neglected him too much. I feel so remorseful!

I explained to the kids what was going to happen in the car on the way to piano lessons. They thought it was really neat and didn't mind that we weren't going to eat together as a family. I told them how important it was for Mommies and Daddies to show that they love each other. That someday they would be gone and we'd still have each other.

Jonah interrupted with, "but Mom, I'm always going to be living with you." LOL I said, "yes, honey, I know. But, you'll have a ministry and/or a job and be busy with friends-you won't be here all the time like now."

Throughout the day the kids helped me get ready. Hannah kept looking at me funny all day-observing me while I cleaned our room, set up the candles, shaved my legs. She offered to do makeup for me, but I explained that Daddy doesn't like makeup, so I'll just wear chapstick/ lip gloss. She gave me hers to use, saying he'd like the smell of it: pear-raspberry.

I called Pat a couple times during the day to let him know that yes, our date was going to happen and some of what I had done to get ready.

Everything went like clockwork, except while I was shaving my legs.

Jonah got a staple in his finger(don't ask-you can just imagine) and was quite upset.

So, I only got the bottom half of my legs shaved so I could check his finger out and read him a book.

Pat came home to the kids already finished with dinner and watching TV. I was dressed nice (not in pajama pants and a sweatshirt) with my hair done and I didn't look harried as usual. I opened the door for him, gave him a big kiss and the evening went exactly as I planned.

We had a nice dinner by candlelight-in peace and quiet and we talked. I told him how I'd been feeling and he said he had been praying that morning on the way to work and was feeling like he took ME for granted! Isn't that funny? I felt I was taking HIM for granted.

Anyway, it was so awesome and I hope to come up with more ideas of ways to cherish him and show him that in ways that he appreciates.

The kids did well-they watched a movie and we probably were only upstairs by ourselves for about an hour and 15 mins or so. Susanna only came and yelled outside our door once, but Hannah was quick to run up and get her-LOL.

He told me that I had made his whole day--especially because he was looking forward to our date all day long-anticipating it.

He deserves that-thank you Lord for taking my focus off of me and putting it on my sweet dear man!

No comments:

Post a Comment