Monday, May 10, 2010

10/23/06 Home Things

I love Autumn! It makes me want to snuggle up in my house, put on some beautiful Celtic music, light candles and tend to the matters within my home.

Saturday I cleaned, baked and sewed. I went thru my fabric and all the flannel that was too small for anything else I turned into baby washcloths. I did flannel on one side and velour or sherpa on the other. And I used my new serger. It's not really new-it's a year old, but I have barely used it as it has bells and whistles that intimidated me. I stuck my the really old one my MIL gave me and that works just fine.

But, my dh bought the new one for me and he keeps asking me why I'm not using it, so I used it and it is a lot of fun sewing with it! Here's the washcloths I made:

I still need to finish winterizing my gardens, plant garlic and cut and freeze the parsely.

Pat and Jonah finished up the chicken coop-they added on to the existing one, doubling it in size. The lamps are in and on and hopefully the breeds of chickens we got will live up to their reputation and continue to lay eggs thru the winter.

My dh went to work in the evening, so the kids and I did some reading together in the loft and we also did some art study & appreciation on the computer on Peter Breugel. We were very excited to see one of his paintings in our big art book for children that we have.

It was such a cozy day!!

Sunday we went apple picking at a friend's apple orchard. We picked so many apples!! Susanna had a good time-she picked apples, took a nibble, then put them in the bucket. LOL. We know which ones she picked as we get them out of the crates. We are hoping to get some of the apples to keep for a couple months in a big chest cooler in the barn.

The friends with the apple orchard also have Scottish Highlander cows-they are huge beautiful animals with enormous horns. While we were there some people showed up who bought the 2 calves born in the Spring. They were both around 500 lbs. As 2 guys were trying to get one of them towards the trailer, the calf decided to bolt, pinching the buyer b/w a tree and it and then it ran over him. He was stunned, scraped up and had the breath knocked out of him, but was ok after a bit. So, Pat helped get them on the trailer.

I visited with the wife who is a nurse who trained me when I first became a nurse and worked on a telemetry floor(before I went back to L&D) Anyway, we had become good friends during that time and I always love talking to her. She always asks peculiar questions(and the normal socialization ones) about homeschooling, but now her sister is doing it, too!

Our time there took longer than we planned and by the time we got home, it started to rain, so firewood was put on hold. We started applesauce instead. We also had company come for dinner. Pat put beef on a spit on the grill-it turned out delicious!!

Our company had gone to Colorado for a vacation and brought pics with them to show slideshow on the TV-WOW! What a beautiful state!

When they left, Hannah gave Susanna a bath for me and I stole away back to my serger to finish the washcloths. I'm hooked on that thing now!

No comments:

Post a Comment