Monday, May 10, 2010

11/5/06 Goings On Here

The week has been long and quick at the same time. I always wonder why when that happens, but can never figure it out.

Quarterly reports for the school district were due Friday, so I spent most of my computer time working on those this week. I always hate doing them(they take forever), but feel satisfied when they're done. It's also nice to read them and see all that we did that I had forgotten we did.

Tuesday, Pat went hunting and brought Jonah with him. They sat in a double tree stand. They didn't see any deer, but 2 coyotes came in really close when my dh made a certain call. Jonah was so excited to see them up close.

Tuesday Hannah had piano lessons and it was nice enough for Jonah & Susanna to play on the playground across the street.

Thursday was gym class.

Thursday was also a day that I declared hooky on the 3 Rs. Sometimes I really feel that they get in the way of everything else that I want us to do!! I know they're necessary, but Thursday morning after Bible & chores, we read short stories by Willa Cather. We had studied her earlier in the week, so I got a book by her from the library. She was an American author whose family moved out west by covered wagon. Hannah knitted, Jonah made things with k'nex, Susanna threw k'nex around and I read. Our favorites were "The Enchanted Bluff" and "Neighbor Rosicky." I've never heard of this author before, but I can't get enough of her now. I am waiting for "Oh, Pioneer" to come in now. Those 2 stories filled me with emotion-like it was rising up out of me. I really can't explain it well. They were beautiful.

After gym, we read more books and that is mostly what we did that day. We looked up stuff we wanted to know more about. Like, in "The Enchanted Bluff", they mentioned a man who lost his foot braking a train. Jonah wanted to know how someone could lose a foot just because the train stopped, so we went on a rabbit trail to find out. I think maybe we should have more rabbit trail days. We also role-played what happens with lawsuits in civil court. Except, we never got to Civil Court-LOL. Hannah "sued" Jonah for her horse breaking a leg in a gopher hole while he rode it. They mediated during the discovery phase, before going to court. Jonah sued Hannah for breaking one of his toys. She didn't even need to recieve papers-she admitted guilt over the phone and said she'd pay the damages, which she was given 2 weeks to do, or she would recieve the papers. I played lawyer for both of them and we had paper trail for Hannah's lawsuit against Jonah because he wouldn't pay 5,000 for a broken leg. They decided to each pay half. I did advise Jonah that he could probably win his case since Hannah did inspect her pasture every day where Jonah rode the horse, but he thought it fair to pay half. LOL. I asked them a ton of questions during discovery. I had fun!

Friday Jonah had been invited to a birthday party for his friend, David-it was at the mall to play laser tag with cake & ice cream. We all went. David's mom is my best friend and our dhs are very good friends. They played laser tag with the kids, too, and Hannah also played. I visited with Chris for a bit, and also ran over to JC Penney's with Susanna. Jonah was in desparate need of jeans without holes in the knees. They were having a big sale! I got 4 pairs of pants, a hooded fleece jacket, 3 shirts for him and a shirt for Susanna for &121.00.

Normally, I shop at thrift stores, and it was nice not to have to sift thru hundreds of things to find something decent.

The kids & Pat had a great time playing laser tag. Most of the boys that were invited were from David's class, plus his brother and a cousin(who Jonah knows), but he got along great with everyone. He knows no strangers, that boy. They also got tokens to use in the game room. I really don't care for those game rooms. I was glad when the tokens were used up. Plus, it was a friday evening and there were some strange characters lurking about. I was glad my dh was there and there was also a sheriff at the entrance of the game room, too.

Once that place filled up with kids(there were 2 other parties), the lurkers all went outside and hung out by the escalator.

My dh said going to the mall was like bringing our country mice to the big city. They haven't been in a long time and they were looking around like they were in a strange land. It is hard to believe that it was Susanna's first time in a mall-and she's 2! It's an hour away, my dh can't stand going, I'm nervous about losing track of kids, and I don't care to go anyway.

Saturday my dh did some work on the town hall. He was asked to reinforce the columns (the inside of them). They had a contractor who quoted them at around $4200 for the job. It took Pat a few hours and he charged $300. The town supervisor is a good friend of ours and asked Pat. So, maybe we saved ourselves & others some taxes. The, he & Jonah took 4 chords of firewood to a friend's house and then he went to work.

I barely saw him. I did some cleaning and baking, reading to the kids & playing, etc. One thing I am pleased about this week is I've made myself walk on the treadmill every day-a mile a day. I did 2 miles one day. It feels good to do it and motivates me more to watch my diet. The best part is I can read while walking! I'm reading "Beyond Survival"-A Guide to Abundant-Life Homeschooling by Diana Waring. This book is inspiring me in so many ways!! I'm so glad I bought it-it is breathing new life into our days, as I've been dragging along lately.

And, I'm finally done canning applesauce. I was starting to dream about apple peels. LOL

http://www.sherylsgraphics.com/

P.S.-I know book titles should be underlined, but my underline button keeps underlining everything before the title as well, so I gave up on it. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment