Monday, May 10, 2010

2/25/07 So Thankful

Susanna & I had a day to ourselves this week-and what a blessing it was! Pat took Thursday off from work to take Hannah & Jonah skiing for the whole day.
So, little miss & I went to the post office. She loved hopping on the steps and waving to everyone when we left. We went to JoAnn Fabrics and I got her some new watercolor paints. We went to P&C and I let her pick out a donut to eat while she sat in the shopping cart. That's not usual, so she took quite some time to pick one and then sat staring at it for awhile before eating it-LOL! She picked one with white frosting and colorful sprinkles.
She helped put the items on the conveyor belt and was friendly with the cashier who gave her stickers.
At home, I made us some soup for lunch, we painted, then played with playdoh. Then we got cozy in a chair, read her favorite books and she went down for a nap. And so did I.
I got up before she did, did the dishes, cut out some fabric, etc.
When she got up, we went outside for a walk down the driveway to get the mail-I pulled her in the sled. I was trying to get her to catch snowflakes with her tongue, but they kept landing on her eye lashes and making her laugh with her saying, "snow tickle me!"
I wish I could convey with words how I felt all that day enjoying all the simple things in life that bring so much joy to a toddler. I loved having this special day with her and giving her my full attention.
I especially had so much fun putting my head back and catching snowflakes with my tongue. I can't remember the last time I did that.
The weather outside reminded me of my favorite poem by Robert Frost.
"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep."
"But, I have miles to go before I sleep. Miles to go before I sleep."
On our way back up the driveway, I got this pic of our house.
This scene just made my heart fill up with thankfullness for all the blessings in my life. I stood there for awhile just looking at it.
We worked on making a snowman once we got to the top of the driveway and then Pat and the kids came back. They decided to pick us up and take us to dinner at the local fish fry place-that was a lot of fun, too. The huge hit there is their big fish tank along with their great food.
It was great to hear the skiing stories-the kids did great and Pat has decided that next year we'll get season passes because they had so much fun. I was so thrilled to see the camraderie the 3 of them had together after this shared experience. ( Pat loved it so much, he took them again the next day-he got off work early and surprised the kids.) I've noticed that the glue that holds us together is shared work and shared play along with lots of prayer!
It was a wonderful, wonderful day. And I'm so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment